It is currently Sat Aug 17, 2019 5:01 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 152 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 57 Next
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:27 am 
Baby Weed

I'll give it a shot, too. Will let you all know how I make out.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 3:33 am 
Greenhorn

I wonder if any studio versions of the other songs played live from around the time of It Takes One to Know One (Magic Rooster Blues, Share My Blanket, etc) will see the light of day? I wasn't big into Warpaint aside from a few tunes but really dug that other subsequent (and mostly discarded) material (Cold Boy Smile at least made it on to Croweology). I put together the Peacepaint comp with a lot of that stuff but the live sources weren't the best.

And strangely, aside from It Takes One to Know One, all the other songs from the "Dying From the Cure" file were never played live, and aren't even on Crowesbase. I'd love to know more about the songs (some almost seem like Chris solo stuff or something). Steve apparently alluded to planned unreleased stuff coming out that was canned after the breakup-- but hopefully it will be unearthed at some point. They could even just have some sort of digital release (surely we'd pony up like a buck a song if it was an "official" release).

Either way, I am pleasantly surprised/shocked to even have heard any of this "new" old unreleased material with these files appearing. The Crowes Vault is the gift that keeps on givin' (the whole year... like the Jelly of the Month Club).
Quote:
Hi guys, been a while since I posted here. Today I checked out Boa's Ed tribute on Crowesbase and I was amazed to find these two studio tracks I'd never heard before. Is there anybody who can send me files of these tracks? I still have the habit of burning cd's to listen to in my car, so that's why.

As I traced the net for these files without any luck, I came upon this: http://forums.theskyiscrape.com/viewtop ... &start=160

There are a number of interesting google drive links here, but all of them are void. The most interesting zip files are "More Lost Crowes" (includes Everybody and Unlikely + studio versions of Nothing Love Everything and Name Like Music) and "Dying From the Cure". This last one apparently has 6 studio tracks from 2005 (?), the only familiar title of which is It Takes One To Know One.

Anybody out there who can supply me (and any other TBC nut) with these zip files?

PEACE

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 4:00 am 
Baby Weed

Quote:
I wonder if any studio versions of the other songs played live from around the time of It Takes One to Know One (Magic Rooster Blues, Share My Blanket, etc) will see the light of day? I wasn't big into Warpaint aside from a few tunes but really dug that other subsequent (and mostly discarded) material (Cold Boy Smile at least made it on to Croweology). I put together the Peacepaint comp with a lot of that stuff but the live sources weren't the best.
Apart from Magic Rooster Blues & Share My Blanket there are just a couple of unreleased live originals from 2005/6 left, namely Saddle My Pony, Ready For Rain, Tomorrow Blues and It's All For You. According to Crowesbase Ready For Rain and Share My Blanket were recorded at the Warpaint sessions. Same goes for It's All For You, but reworked into a new song called Movin' On. Speaking of which... a brand-new tune was apparently recorded at the Warpaint sessions, Natural Born Turn It On. Wonder what that one sounds like...

There is no studio version of Saddle My Pony. Interestingly enough this song first saw the light of day in the setlists of CR's Wooden Family (2007).

Tomorrow Blues turned up on CRB's Big Moon Ritual.

As mentioned earlier there is a clear resemblance between the intro of Right Where You Want Me (Dying From The Cure) and Magic Rooster Blues.

PEACE

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:13 am 
Greenhorn

Quote:
Quote:

There is no studio version of Saddle My Pony. Interestingly enough this song first saw the light of day in the setlists of CR's Wooden Family (2007).
It was actually debuted at a BOAF show in Atlanta earlier that spring. I think it was also played inside a Morning Song jam later that summer, too. Crowesbase says it's an CR/RR song. I always thought it was a cool blues tune. "Soulful mama, lay that backbeat down."

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:00 pm 
Baby Weed

Quote:
And strangely, aside from It Takes One to Know One, all the other songs from the "Dying From the Cure" file were never played live, and aren't even on Crowesbase. I'd love to know more about the songs (some almost seem like Chris solo stuff or something).
To my ears the songwriting and guitar on those other Dying From The Cure tracks sounds like all Chris with no Rich influence at all. Show Me What You Can Do is basically a CRB song. I also don't buy that there's any connection between Right Where You Want Me and Magic Rooster Blues.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 3:41 am 
Baby Weed

Quote:
I also don't buy that there's any connection between Right Where You Want Me and Magic Rooster Blues.
The starting riff it's the same

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 8:23 am 
Baby Weed

Quote:
Quote:
And strangely, aside from It Takes One to Know One, all the other songs from the "Dying From the Cure" file were never played live, and aren't even on Crowesbase. I'd love to know more about the songs (some almost seem like Chris solo stuff or something).
To my ears the songwriting and guitar on those other Dying From The Cure tracks sounds like all Chris with no Rich influence at all. Show Me What You Can Do is basically a CRB song. I also don't buy that there's any connection between Right Where You Want Me and Magic Rooster Blues.
I would definitely agree with that. My thoughts exactly when I heard them for the first time.

That Sweet Sweet Lullaby turned up on the most recent CRB release almost confirms it for me.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 8:25 am 
Baby Weed

Quote:
Apart from Magic Rooster Blues & Share My Blanket there are just a couple of unreleased live originals from 2005/6 left, namely Saddle My Pony, Ready For Rain, Tomorrow Blues and It's All For You. According to Crowesbase Ready For Rain and Share My Blanket were recorded at the Warpaint sessions. Same goes for It's All For You, but reworked into a new song called Movin' On. Speaking of which... a brand-new tune was apparently recorded at the Warpaint sessions, Natural Born Turn It On. Wonder what that one sounds like...

PEACE
I could be way off base, but wasn't Ready For Rain officially released as an iTunes (or similar) exclusive?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 8:44 am 
Baby Weed

Quote:
I could be way off base, but wasn't Ready For Rain officially released as an iTunes (or similar) exclusive?
That was Here Comes Daylight i think

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:56 pm 
Baby Weed

Quote:
Thanks! Any luck?

PEACE

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 8:13 pm 
Baby Weed

Quote:
Quote:
I also don't buy that there's any connection between Right Where You Want Me and Magic Rooster Blues.
The starting riff it's the same
Right Where You Want Me sounds like it's in standard tuning and starts on a D7 that repeats for about 15 seconds. Magic Rooster Blues is in open F, starts on Bb and goes straight to F. They're not even close.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:17 am 
Greenhorn

Any way you slice it, this is a terrible song imo. I hate the vocal delivery.

The first song with the harp is decent. The rest of these CR demos are pretty much throwaways imo, although the Sweet Sweet Lullaby and California Hymm are redeemed with the CRB.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:10 pm 
Baby Weed

Longtime reader/lurker here, but I feel compelled to post because I've found myself randomly pickin' the guitar on Magic Rooster Blues the past few months, irrespective of this thread. For what it's worth, the main riff is a fairly standard descending guitar chord progression, very similar to a number of songs from other prominent bands over the years. A bunch are escaping me at the moment, but it's easy to hear if you listen to "It's Love" by King's X and "Glide" by STP, to name a couple....

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:05 pm 
Baby Weed

Quote:
Any way you slice it, this is a terrible song imo. I hate the vocal delivery.

The first song with the harp is decent. The rest of these CR demos are pretty much throwaways imo, although the Sweet Sweet Lullaby and California Hymm are redeemed with the CRB.
Agreed re: Right Where You Want Me. I like the others, but they're pretty standard CR and nothing too exciting.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:13 am 
Baby Weed

Quote:
Quote:
Thanks! Any luck?

PEACE
I'm still at the spot that you are: awaiting the confirmation email. If and when I get it, I'll be sure to let you know.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 12:31 pm 
Greenhorn

So Pastoral with lyrics was only played live once that we know of, correct?

That ver. of Feathers is flat out awesome.. LOVE it!!!

"Like four Jerry Maguires in age-inappropriate leather jackets, U2 only wanted you to show them the money."

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 1:14 pm 
Baby Weed

Those Dying from the Cure songs, aside from It Takes One to Know One, which is decent, do nothing for me. By the sound of it, CR must have had near complete control over those sessions. My expectation were way higher since MFF was involved at that time.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 2:36 pm 
Baby Weed

Logged on after many many years to find out my account is still active!

s~s

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 4:51 am 
Baby Weed

Quote:
That ver. of Feathers is flat out awesome.. LOVE it!!!
I wholly concur, sir. This is the Amorica version, right? For what it's worth, I love it even more than the HORDE / Tall version. CR's delivery is out of this world.

PEACE

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 9:52 am 
Baby Weed

Quote:
This is the Amorica version, right?
Courtesy of Crowesbase:

This version is from a CD copied from a DAT of songs from the Amorica Sessions known in trading circles for some unknown reason as "Stick Out Your Corkscrew" - it is NOT the soundtrack to the unreleased film "Stick Out Your Corkscrew With The Black Crowes"). It is from 1994 and is the most guitar heavy version of the song - similar to every Amorica Sessions song that has a Tall Session counterpart. This does not have the outro jam that concluded the 1993 versions of the song. (7:25)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:18 am 
Greenhorn

I thought Stick Out Your Corkscrew was an early alternate title for Amorica-- corkscrew being the pubic hair from the album cover photo.

And that Magic Rooster Blues comparison is nonexistent. Magic Rooster has a descending chord pattern and the other song does not. Plus they just don't really sound anything alike, other than they are rock songs with riffs and chords.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 5:05 am 
Baby Weed

FYI: Boa posted on You Tube the much talked about "A Night In The Life Of A Corkscrew" video

Watch it here

Info courtesy of Crowesbase:

The Black Crowes
16 May 1994 - Pacific Ocean Studios - Santa Monica, CA [ USA ]
S E T L I S T
High Head Blues
Gone
A Conspiracy
Cursed Diamond

The Amorican Party aka A Night in the Life of a Corkscrew

S H O W . L E N G T H
60 minutes

S O U R C E
VIDEO (Video Recording)

F A N . N O T E S
The most infamous performance in the history of The Black Crowes - [boa]

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 12:37 pm 
Greenhorn

It's not there anymore... does anyone else have it or is it posted elsewhere?

"Like four Jerry Maguires in age-inappropriate leather jackets, U2 only wanted you to show them the money."

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 4:03 pm 
Baby Weed

Damn - it was up this morning. I watched the first 3 minutes and figured I would circle back when I had more time. I've wanted to see this footage for a long time.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 12:53 pm 
Baby Weed

Quote:
FYI: Boa posted on You Tube the much talked about "A Night In The Life Of A Corkscrew" video

Watch it here

Info courtesy of Crowesbase:

The Black Crowes
16 May 1994 - Pacific Ocean Studios - Santa Monica, CA [ USA ]
S E T L I S T
High Head Blues
Gone
A Conspiracy
Cursed Diamond

The Amorican Party aka A Night in the Life of a Corkscrew

S H O W . L E N G T H
60 minutes

S O U R C E
VIDEO (Video Recording)

F A N . N O T E S
The most infamous performance in the history of The Black Crowes - [boa]
DAMN!! Hope someone recorded this. Wonder why he took it down?

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 152 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 57 Next