It is currently Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:07 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 152 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 57 Next
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 6:09 am 
Baby Weed

Quote:
If there's more, keep it coming...
Not much unfortunatly, but here's an interesting thing

1992-09-19 Soundcheck

this is a soundboard recording of the soundcheck with the band running down early versions of these songs:

Bewildered
Girl From The Pawnshop
Exit
The Fear Years
Nonfiction

Crowesbase entry

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 6:12 am 
Baby Weed

Last bu not least

Baby not sure if this is a Band or By Your Side outtake, the song was later revided by Rich for his solo album

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 6:30 am 
Baby Weed

Quote:
Quote:
If there's more, keep it coming...
Not much unfortunatly, but here's an interesting thing

1992-09-19 Soundcheck

this is a soundboard recording of the soundcheck with the band running down early versions of these songs:

Bewildered
Girl From The Pawnshop
Exit
The Fear Years
Nonfiction

Crowesbase entry
Thanks - I had the others but never Girl From The Pawnshop or Non Fiction.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 6:38 am 
Baby Weed

Quote:
Last bu not least

Baby not sure if this is a Band or By Your Side outtake, the song was later revided by Rich for his solo album
Wow, another little gem, thanks!

This sounds like a BYS outtake from the December 97 sessions (Crowesbase). It's definitely a lot different from the version recorded during the Band sessions.

PEACE

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 2:44 pm 
Baby Weed

Quote:

All of these were posted on Soundcloud by someone that went by the nickname "One Snake and Three Charms", both all of the songs posted and the user are long gone.
I believe, but this is my humble opinion only, that the user was Boa.
You were close on the nickname, but not the user.
It is "asnake&3charms", from - "On That Hollow Day" fame and fortune - (your life with the pendulum, a silver bracelet, a snake and three charms), and no it was not boa. It was me, an Amorican who found something special in the sound and music of The Black Crowes.
After I heard a snippet of Everybody Has Scars on "SGS", I thought man I would love to hear that entire song, no matter what Gorman thought of it, but figured it would never happen. About a year and a half back, I made a visitor post to Crowesbase WHQ stating that it would be nice to hear some Sound Of Music Studios material, or even better, some Three Snakes era material, like Everybody Has Scars or Name Like Music. It was surely a coincidence, but very shortly after that, a link to Everybody Has Scars showed up on boa's facebook page, and I thought wow, that was a very generous thing for him to do, coincidental or not.
All of the unreleased studio songs I posted on Soundcloud were from links that boa posted on his facebook page, the 09-19-1992 soundcheck came from the .net board. The unreleased studio songs were crowesbase.com and or boa.com clickable links that would open and play the song, and would disappear after about a week or so if I remember right.
Weeks after I had put the songs that boa was posting links to up on Soundcloud, the same songs (and others that I never saw links for on boa's page), showed up on one of the closed group TBC discussion pages as .wav files. I downloaded some of them and tested them to see if they were wave files, but they were all lossy as I figured, because they came from the same source as the ones I had did - the TBC archive via boa, which were all mp3. I informed the person that posted the links on the TBC discussion page that they were not wave files, but instead mp3 files that someone converted to wave, and that he may want to let everyone know that they were not really wave files.
Some, or most people might say they could care less what format that the songs were in, as long as they had them, which is fine. I was just trying to let him know that they were not correctly labeled and that there was nothing gained by converting from an mp3 file to a wave file, other than greatly increasing the size of the file, because what was cut off the lossless file when it was converted to an mp3 file could not be added back by converting the mp3 back to wave.
I mentioned to the person that put up the wave file links that all of the downloadable links for the songs that were originally posted by boa were all mp3 files, and after that, boa replied to my post quoting what I had said about all of the links he posted being downloadable with a question mark at the end. I replied to boa that if you right clicked on any of his links, that you would get a drop down box with a lot of link options, including "save link as..." which is what I was doing, and figured others were as well.
I do not remember exactly what his reply was, but it was short and something like "uh oh", like he didn't know that the links could be downloaded and saved. Not long after that, all of the links and posts regarding the links on the closed group TBC page disappeared, so I figured it best to remove all of the songs from my Soundcloud page.

Last edited by asnakeandthreecharms on Fri Dec 16, 2016 6:06 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 3:01 pm 
Baby Weed

Quote:
You were close on the nickname, but not the user.
Thanks for the clarification, and thanks a lot for sharing the songs on Soundcloud as well.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 4:11 pm 
Baby Weed

The unreleased studio songs were crowesbase.com and or boa.com clickable links that would open and play the song. The links would disappear after about a week or so if I remember right, but here is a example of one that is still valid - http://crowesbase.com/songs/Back_Door_Santa.mp3

How do you get to find songs that have mp3 in crowebase?

Does anyone have the pastoral studio track? (My holy grail) or any of the live Pastoral versions (3/16/95, 3/18/95, 12/19/95) in good sounding form??????

Thanks

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:14 pm 
Baby Weed

Quote:
Does anyone have the pastoral studio track? (My holy grail) or any of the live Pastoral versions (3/16/95, 3/18/95, 12/19/95) in good sounding form??????

Thanks
Check the link in the first post, Pastoral is in the "More Lost Crowes" compilation along with a bunch of other things I never expected to hear, like the studio Spider In The Sugar Bowl Blues, Nothing Love Everything, and Name Like Music. Thanks for the links everyone, this is awesome.

Now who has those supposed Late Nights Again and Cut From The Shadow studio takes from the link in the first post? And the SHAMC sessions extras?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 3:21 am 
Baby Weed

Quote:
Now who has those supposed Late Nights Again and Cut From The Shadow studio takes from the link in the first post? And the SHAMC sessions extras?
I'd love to hear those as well

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 7:55 am 
Baby Weed

Quote:
Quote:
I've tried to join theskyiscrape forum to ask Trudatman or MattA75 directly, but every time my attempt failed because I didn't manage to give the correct answer to the question "What is Ed's last name?". At first I thought this was about Ed Harsch/Hawrysch, but apparently it's not. Guess it's about another Ed, probably in connection with Pearl Jam.

PEACE

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 8:03 am 
Baby Weed

Quote:
Quote:
Last bu not least

Wow, another little gem, thanks!

This sounds like a BYS outtake from the December 97 sessions (Crowesbase). It's definitely a lot different from the version recorded during the Band sessions.

PEACE
According to Crowesbase ten tracks in total were recorded at the December 97 sessions:

Baby (version II)
Bled To Death
Cosmic Friend (version I)
Every Little Bit
Horsehead (early version)
It Must Be Over (early version)
My Head Hurts
Old Man Of The Midnight Sea
Out West
Tickle Tickle

I really dig the unrefined sound of Baby (version II), which makes me very curious to hear what the other tunes sound like. When I read the Crowesbase info on Tickle Tickle ("In fact, it’s got one of the meanest grooves Rich has ever written") a weird physical craving starts messing with my mind. Wouldn't it be great if these tracks were made public?

PEACE

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 9:30 am 
Baby Weed

Quote:
Now that I think about the SHAMC extras, I can't imagine they would be anything unexpected, unless it's studio versions of all those '90-'91 songs (Bruises and Pills, You're Wrong, etc.). 99 lbs, Darling of the Underground Press, Sting Me (Slow), and Thorn's Progress were all released as B-sides or as bonus tracks on the remastered SHAMC. The rest of what they recorded made the album. Still really want to hear Late Nights Again and Cut From The Shadow though.
Quote:
I've tried to join theskyiscrape forum to ask Trudatman or MattA75 directly, but every time my attempt failed because I didn't manage to give the correct answer to the question "What is Ed's last name?". At first I thought this was about Ed Harsch/Hawrysch, but apparently it's not. Guess it's about another Ed, probably in connection with Pearl Jam.

PEACE
Vedder? Though apparently he was born with the last name Severson but changed it to Vedder (his mother's maiden name).
Quote:
According to Crowesbase ten tracks in total were recorded at the December 97 sessions:

Baby (version II)
Bled To Death
Cosmic Friend (version I)
Every Little Bit
Horsehead (early version)
It Must Be Over (early version)
My Head Hurts
Old Man Of The Midnight Sea
Out West
Tickle Tickle

I really dig the unrefined sound of Baby (version II), which makes me very curious to hear what the other tunes sound like. When I read the Crowesbase info on Tickle Tickle ("In fact, it’s got one of the meanest grooves Rich has ever written") a weird physical craving starts messing with my mind. Wouldn't it be great if these tracks were made public?

PEACE
I like Baby (Version II) a lot more than Version I and what eventually ended up on Paper. This group of songs has always been at the top of my list of things I wish would surface, especially given that Tickle Tickle description. They also recorded a bunch of songs in January '98:

Black Tango
Nightingale Song
Red Wine Stains (Sad Brown Eyes was released as a B-side, but they recorded this song so many times I'd love to hear some of the other takes)
Thrown It All Away
Tomorrow Is Here (this was linked above by corvonero)
Virtue And Vice (early version)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 3:33 pm 
Baby Weed

Quote:
Quote:

Thanks
Check the link in the first post, Pastoral is in the "More Lost Crowes" compilation along with a bunch of other things I never expected to hear, like the studio Spider In The Sugar Bowl Blues, Nothing Love Everything, and Name Like Music. Thanks for the links everyone, this is awesome.

I should have been more descriptive in my quest for Pastoral.....
Does anyone have the studio version or is there one known of the studio version with vocals? Additionally, does anyone have a live version that sounds good of Pastoral. I have the one from 12/19/95 and it sounds so so. I would imagine there is a show from the 3 nights they played it live with a soundboard recording....

Thanks
Steve

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 3:41 pm 
Greenhorn

There may have been some confusion--I think Cut From the Shadow and Late Nights Again are SBD recordings from the BOAF Tour. At least that was the source in the folder of goodies I received, which seems almost identical to this one.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 3:48 pm 
Greenhorn

Late Nights Again (4/22/06) & Cut From the Shadow (4/21/06):

https://wetransfer.com/downloads/49c6b4 ... 706/303c56

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 4:37 pm 
Baby Weed

Thanks, but could you post these files as mp3s? I really don't know how to convert rar.files...

PEACE

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 6:02 pm 
Baby Weed

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks

I should have been more descriptive in my quest for Pastoral.....
Does anyone have the studio version or is there one known of the studio version with vocals? Additionally, does anyone have a live version that sounds good of Pastoral. I have the one from 12/19/95 and it sounds so so. I would imagine there is a show from the 3 nights they played it live with a soundboard recording....

Thanks
Steve
I posted a link to a soundboard Pastoral in the 'Best Live Versions ...' thread the other day. Check it out - It's still active but will be removed in the next few days.

As for studio, there is no complete version with vocals. The instrumental outtake is all there is. Same with Name Like Music.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 11:13 am 
Baby Weed

Thanks to all who've posted this amazing stuff on here. I've been hanging around this thread for some time now and finally re-registered on this board (it had been a long time....all details lost) just to say thanks to everyone!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 2:47 pm 
Baby Weed

Quote:
There may have been some confusion--I think Cut From the Shadow and Late Nights Again are SBD recordings from the BOAF Tour. At least that was the source in the folder of goodies I received, which seems almost identical to this one.
With all the new studio stuff among all those links I assumed those two would be the same. Thanks for uploading the SBDs though. If you mean what have is almost identical to all those links posted on the Pearl Jam forum, any chance you can shed some light on what some of those other links are? TSHAMC extras, Band Sessions (curious if this is any different than the Ocean Way Studio "Band Session Rehearsals" that are already out there), "amorica. sessions", and that lone Sting Me link at the top there.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 4:55 pm 
Greenhorn

Quote:
Quote:
With all the new studio stuff among all those links I assumed those two would be the same. Thanks for uploading the SBDs though. If you mean what have is almost identical to all those links posted on the Pearl Jam forum, any chance you can shed some light on what some of those other links are? TSHAMC extras, Band Sessions (curious if this is any different than the Ocean Way Studio "Band Session Rehearsals" that are already out there), "amorica. sessions", and that lone Sting Me link at the top there.
Sorry, I didn't get a whole lot of info on the sources of the recordings.

Most of the Band Sessions stuff I received was from the rehearsals, or the DAT master of the released version (without Stacey's mastering, I'm guessing). Also a real fine version of Boomer's Story w/Donnie Herron on mandolin, and Smile w/Chris singing all the vocal parts.

Do you have a complete list of the tracks that were shared on the PJ forum? I couldn't find it.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 8:09 pm 
Baby Weed

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Sorry, I didn't get a whole lot of info on the sources of the recordings.

Most of the Band Sessions stuff I received was from the rehearsals, or the DAT master of the released version (without Stacey's mastering, I'm guessing). Also a real fine version of Boomer's Story w/Donnie Herron on mandolin, and Smile w/Chris singing all the vocal parts.

Do you have a complete list of the tracks that were shared on the PJ forum? I couldn't find it.
Not a complete list of tracks, but everything that was shared is here, towards the bottom of the page. I basically just want to see if there's anything there that's different from what I already have. I'm going to PM you.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 3:22 am 
Greenhorn

Thanks for the re-uploads! Appalachian is a cool, long-awaited find. And I forgot that Painkiller was already out there-- it was mislabled as Wind & Wood Heart on the old Tall Sessions disc (and WInd & Wood Heart itself has now seen the light of day).

Baby (Version II) is a nice raw alternate take, and I had never heard/seen a studio Miserable before. Nice gaps being filled on some of the mystery studio nuggets. Now we just need some more of that '97-98 era stuff that we've only read about (salivated over?) on Crowesbase...

And I too was curious if TSHAMC sessions "extras" were something new, or the same stuff that had been out there when those sessions were made available. I think it was only a one disc thing originally. There isn't a list of songs for the sessions on the page with the uploaded sendspace files.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 3:32 am 
Greenhorn

The Tomorrow Is Here riff was also the basis of the Hookah Brown song Remain. It's wild to hear a Chris-fronted version of this song. Rich must've dug this enough to use it at least three times (well, it IS a pretty killer riff).
Quote:
Quote:
I missed out on the Sendspace files. Been looking for Appalachian Opera for years.
Can anybody hook me up?
Would be more than happy to return the favor.
Here you go:

Appalachian Opera Minus The Opera

a couple more:

Tomorrow Is Here BYS outtake, Rich later used the riff for Yesterday I Saw You on Paper
Feathers "guitar heavy version from Amorica sessions"

All of these were posted on Soundcloud by someone that went by the nickname "One Snake and Three Charms", both all of the songs posted and the user are long gone.
I believe, but this is my humble opinion only, that the user was Boa.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 6:29 am 
Baby Weed

Quote:
Not a complete list of tracks, but everything that was shared is here, towards the bottom of the page.
Unfortunatly all the sendspace links are dead and gone.
Probably all the stuff shared with sendspace is quite common but there is no way to check this out.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:15 am 
Baby Weed

Quote:
Quote:
Not a complete list of tracks, but everything that was shared is here, towards the bottom of the page.
Unfortunatly all the sendspace links are dead and gone.
Probably all the stuff shared with sendspace is quite common but there is no way to check this out.
I guess there is a way, namely by registering for the PJ-board. I've found out that the answer to the "what's Ed last name" question is indeed Vedder (thanks for the suggestion BrainDamage). However, after trying to create an account twice (with different names and email addresses) I'm still waiting for the confirmation/activation email. Suppose this would work after all, it'd be just a case of sending a message to the right people. Anybody else wants to give it a go?

PEACE

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 152 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 57 Next